What is GUE Fundamentals?
If you're not familiar with GUE and it's courses this is a great place to start! The Fundamentals course has something for everyone. It attracts divers of all skill levels and abilities. So whether you have 30 dives or 3000 this course is for you! You will learn about GUE as an organisation, their systems and procedures all while improving your own personal skills. It is also the gateway to more advanced GUE Technical and Cave training.
This course walks you through GUE's system as a whole, while teaching you how to work in a team environment. We look at things like dive planning, gas management, breathing mixtures other than air, how different gases affect us while diving, basics of decompression, skill refinement and risk assessment.
The course includes 4 days of training plus one bonus prep day prior to the start of the course.
- Instructor lead lectures
- Land drills for all key skills
- Minimum of 6 in water sessions
Prep Day includes:
- Equipment workshop/overview
- One in water session
Applicants for a Fundamentals course must:
- Submit a completed registration form, a medical history, and a liability release to GUE Headquarters.
- Be physically and mentally fit.
- Hold insurance that will cover diving emergencies such as hyperbaric treatment, e.g. DAN Master-level insurance or equivalent.
- Be a nonsmoker.
- Obtain a physician’s prior written authorization for the use of prescription drugs, except for birth control, or for any prior medical condition that may pose a risk while diving.
- Be a minimum of 16 years of age.
- Be a certified GUE Rec 1 diver or be certified as an open water diver from a recognized training agency.